I’m having a hard time staying awake at work today. I had to search through the box of teabags at work to find one that was caffinated… or at least one that didn’t advertise “sleepty time” or “cozy chamomile.” I was up at 4:30 this morning to catch the early flight to LGB from OAK. Yesterday’s flights were all full. It’s just one of the things I have to deal with sometimes when I play the stand-by game. I think I might have dozed a little while sitting on the toilet earlier…

We got a few things done this weekend. Saturday morning Mom and I drove out to Oakley to meet with a florist I found online. This is her website: Flowers by Anne. She was highly recommended on the message board that I frequent and we realized that it was going to be a lot cheaper to have her to the flowers than to do them ourselves. Plus, we are saving ourselves from some stress. I had printed out some photos of bouquets I liked and I had specific flowers that I wanted to use. I definately wanted gerbera daisies, as they are one of my favorite flowers and look fabulous in bouquets. I also wanted mokara orchids. But orchids of all varieties tend to be really expensive, so I was set with using red freesia as a small flower instead of the orchids. When all was said and done, I was able to have the mokara orchids and it was still under our budget. I’ll have some in my bouquet and in my hair. They will decorate the cake and all of the butonnieres. So, we’ll be using burgandy gerberas, red and burgandy roses and red mokara orchids. Relatively simple and obviously red. Anne was awesome to work with and it was obvious that she’s done hundreds of weddings. And, she’s able to keep her prices low because she works out of her home. I’m thrilled to have the flowers ordered and another major item checked off the list.

Plus we learned a bit of history: the term nosegay (a small, tightly
bunched bouquet… about the size of five roses) dates back to medieval
times when people didn’t bathe or wash their clothing very often. They
would carry around a small clutch of flowers to occasionally hold over
their nose to avoid the smell. Nose-gay: makes your nose happy.

After we had some lunch, Mom and I picked up Laikwan and we went to the Great Mall in Milpitas. There is a store there that sells Chinese dresses, jackets, skirts. It has a much larger variety of styles than we could find in Oakland’s Chinatown. It was a little disappointing that the sizing was obviously not American. I couldn’t even fit the XXL over my curvy hips, yet the upper half was two sizes too big. It’s just emphasizes the need for me to have one custom made. I found a neckline that I liked and a skirt that was pretty cool too. Instead of the slim-fitting traditional style with the two side slits, this one was A-line with extra panels of fabric. It looked pretty but made the gown much heavier with the extra fabric. We took a few pictures that I will not be posting, none of them are flattering. They are for Laikwan to take with her to China as reference. We didn’t stay at the mall long, as it was a Saturday afternoon and very crowded. I really dislike being at the mall when it’s crowded.

Later in the evening, Bill, Patrick and I took Grandma out to P.F. Chang’s for her belated birthday dinner. We had a great time, especially since we remembered to make a reservation. I’ve heard of some obscene wait times at this restaurant. We had some great food that is mostly traditional Chinese dishes that have been jazzed up with random ingredients that make it very Californian. We ate family style and had: Salt and Pepper Calamari, Almond Cashew Chicken, Oolong Marniated Sea Bass, Shrimp with Candied Walnuts and Honeydew Melon, Chengdu Spiced Lamp, and a noodle dish that I can’t remember its name… it had mein noodles, bean sprouts, julienned parma ham and those small, killer red chili peppers. For dessert we shared the Great Wall of Chocolate. We had a good time and plan to do it again soon.

Sunday, I slept in a bit and did some picture framing for Mom. We watched Patrick barely make it through his 3pm soccer match. Earlier that morning he and Mark went on a 65 mile bicycle ride though Sunol, Fremont and Castro Valley… there were many hills. Then he played soccer an hour later. At least he scored a goal. Bill and I were both itching to play.

My only plans for next weekend are to do a lot of cleaning. Actually, I’d like to get a lot done this week after work. Bill will be working at SFO until Thursday. I guess it would be nice if the house was clean when he got back.


About wobetxela

Artist, mom, traveler, hiker, babywearer (for as long as they'll let me) and hobbyist photographer.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s