I got a picture message on my phone from Bill just before 7am on Friday morning saying “Just made it home. Long story. Tell you when I wake up.”

This was the picture:

Yes, that’s the moving truck attached to a tow truck. When they were on the home stretch, they stopped at a weigh station in Fairfield… about sixty miles from Fremont. If you didn’t know, all moving trucks have to stop at the scales now. They had already driven 2943 miles without incident. As they pulled up and waited for their little light to turn green, a guy told them to pull into an inspection bay. All three of the guys said “uh oh” in unison. The guy conducted his random inspection, and after about ten minutes he told Bill, who was driving, “Why don’t you come on down so I can show you what’s wrong…” Doh! He showed Bill some random thing wrong with the steering and told them that it needed to be fixed asap. The guys thought they could just go on their merry way and make sure Budget knew there’s an issue with the truck. Alas, that wasn’t going to happen. The inspector at the weigh station informed them they would have to have the truck towed for the rest of their journey.

So, they called Budget and a tow truck was dispatched. Thankfully the boys had the sense to ask if the tow truck would have enough seats for all three of them. The dispatcher said there would be enough room for the driver and two guys. So Alvin called a friend of his who lives in Richmond to come and pick him up. When the tow truck finally arrived (he came from Fremont), they noticed that there were only two seats in the tow truck. The driver cheerfully said he would make it work. So, a very lucky Bill sat on a five gallon bucket in between the two seats in the tow truck, with the gear shifter in between his knees, for the remaining 60 miles of their long and exhaustive trip. James said Bill was falling asleep and his head was bouncing all over the place. When Bill sent me the picture message just before 7am, he was just crawling into bed. Oh yeah, he also caught a cold somewhere in the midwest. Yuck.

So, their trip was long and very tiring and Bill informed James that if he ever decided to move across the country again that their friendship would immediately be terminated.

Kristen and I handled our week much better. Kristen was pretty tired at the end because this was the first time in a long time that she had Logan all day for the entire week. Normally Logan was in day care for three or four days each week. Friday evening when I got home from work, Logan was bored. He gets a bit destructive when he’s bored… throwing things and pushing things off the coffee table. So we took him to Long Beach City College to see the bunnies. I talked about the bunnies at LBCC back in October when we first took Logan there. It’s an odd phenomenon where the college is home to hundreds of rabbits that aren’t the wild variety. I haven’t been able to find a real explaination as to why there are so many rabbits on campus except to say that the campus was once a large field that housed many rabbits and that over the years people have been abandoning their pet rabbits on campus. I found one article in the LBCC news that reminded students that there is a $1000 fine for abandoning a rabbit on campus. It’s just weird! Being a Friday evening, classes were pretty much done for the day, so
he could run around the quad and Kristen and I could just sit back and

Logan ran around, a lot! He got a little frustrated when the rabbits would run away when he got close. But he still had a good time.

Mommy trying to get him to understand that you have to be gentle… gotta love his tongue sticking out.

The rabbit eventually got tired of us and ran away.

Some silly moments with Mommy.

Sharing some of his fishies with me…

Kristen and I flew up to OAK on Saturday morning. It’s nice that jetBlue changed it’s schedule around a bit, so the flight that used to leave at 6:30am now leaves at 8am. It worked out well to have us flying between Logan’s breakfast and nap time. The boys met us at the gate and we went to the Original Pancake House for breakfast. We then went to my parents’ house so Logan could have a quite place to nap. Dad came home from the store to find me, Kristen and Bill asleep on the couches and Logan napping in one of the bedrooms. After our naps, Logan played a bit in the backyard kicking a soccer ball around with Bill and Patrick.

We went to Jamba Juice where we learned that Logan really likes the fruity soy milk smoothie that Kristen got. We also went to the Krispy Kreme that was just across the parking lot so Logan could watch the doughnuts being made.

We all had dinner at Cattlemen’s where Jackie waited on us. Dad joined us and we saw Sara’s parents having dinner there too. We all crashed early and slept in. Even Logan slept in… past 6am. We had dim sum for lunch before James and Kristen took us to the airport. We had planned to go test drive some cars when we got home, but Bill passed out on the couch as soon as he sat down. I think after a week on the road or on a bucket, , nursing a head cold, and loading and unloading a moving truck, his body finally realized it was home and could relax.


About wobetxela

Artist, mom, traveler, hiker, babywearer (for as long as they'll let me) and hobbyist photographer.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to

  1. stebow says:

    Goodness! You mean they were in danger of steering off the highway at any moment all the way across the country? What was Budget thinking sending a truck out in that condition!??! Shame on them! I thoought only U-Haul was famous for that.
    So glad they all made it back in one piece. Welcome, Yeoms, to the Bay Area again. Glad you’re back!

  2. christao408 says:

    Wow, they drove all that way with a possible fault to the steering system?  Yikes! 
    Such cute pictures of Logan and the bunny.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s