We had a fun and action-packed weekend celebrating Dad and Logan’s birthdays. These actually aren’t all of the photos, as I haven’t been able to get the photos I took with Michael’s camera. These all are from my camera, Bill’s nifty new camera or James and Kristen’s camera. It looks like photos from Michael’s camera will be a week late. Well, considering I haven’t posted the photos from last weekend yet, I’ll just wait and do a big flashback post…. but probably next week, after the 4th.

I flew in Friday evening and had Thai take-out from Krungthai with Bill, James and Kristen. Mmmm, I love Mussuman curry. Saturday morning we were up pretty early for us… before 9:30… with errands to run. We had breakfast with James, Kristen and the kid at the Cabrillo Park Cafe in Fremont again. Logan enjoyed playing with his tow truck.

On a side note… a slightly funny story about this particular tow truck. While the boys were driving the moving truck across the country at the end of April, Kristen and Logan stayed at our house. One day Kristen went and bought a few toys for Logan that were meant to stay at our house. One was this tow truck… notice that it’s not a normal tow truck, it’s the kind that hauls big rigs… and moving trucks. The boys are convinced that Kristen buying this truck two days before their moving truck had to be towed caused some bad juju… hence putting all of the blame for that slightly hellish night on Kristen. Natrually she denies these allegations…. claiming she never made the connection until after the fact. The investigation continues… and Logan ended up taking the truck home with him.

Back to the weekend… and playing with the truck in the diner.

Logan is getting his two-year molars and almost always has his hands in his mouth.

Check out that pout! The truck was taken away after he was repeatedly told not to push the button that makes the loud truck noises indoors.

He cheered up when the food arrived. He munched on sausage and some of my pancakes, which were delicious.

After our breakfast, we stopped at Home Depot and Orchard Supply Hardware to investigate possibly buying Dad a new lawn mower for his birthday. (yes, we tend to wait until the last minute for birthday gifts.) 

Logan enjoyed playing with the lawn mowers…. a lot. At Orchard Supply, Logan found a kid-sized wheel barrow and really loved it!

He did enjoy pushing it around himself… but Mommy pushing him was much more fun.

This pose totally cracked me up!

In the end we decided not to buy Dad a new lawn mower… knowing that he’d probably want to buy one that was more than we could afford. Instead we got him two Japanese Maple trees for his backyard. One has green leaves and a reddish-tint to the brances.The other has dark red leaves that are very delicate and lace-like. Jackie came and picked up Bill, Michael, and me at the nursury because there was no way we were going to fit both of the trees in James and Kristen’s minivan. Plus it was about time for Logan’s nap.

Jackie driving us back to Mom and Dad’s house with one of the trees in the front seat… and slightly hanging out the window. I bet it looked pretty funny as we drove by. Thankfully they don’t live far away.

Bill and I went to run some errands before the birthday parties began. One stop was to drop in on a friend’s graduation party. Our friend Amanda Vieira just finished her Master’s Degree and the party was at her parents, Arlene and Paul’s house. We’ve known the Vieiras for years as their son, Jesse and Patrick were close friends in elementary school and played on the same soccer teams for a long time. I baby-sat Jesse and Amanda a few times and our families have always been close. They have also been really close to Bill through soccer. Bill was an assistant coach on Amanda’s youth teams and was her goalkeeper coach in High School… which kind of threw him into coaching the Junior Varsity girls team that Jackie played on. Needless to say, we’ve all known each other in one form or another for a long time. Unfortunately with all of us kids grown up, we see each other less and less. It’s something I’d like to fix.

Me with Arlene.

Us with Amanda. We got there just as their party was starting. They had lots of food and a margarita machine… the margaritas were delicious but strong. We stayed just long enough for me to have one… and wish I’d had more to eat. 

After our errands we went to Alvin’s house to use his pritner… it took longer than we anticipated so Alvin brought out a few of his model cars for Logan to play with. Thankfully they are well made despite Logan’s ability to be a bit destructive.

We finally made it to Mom and Dad’s house and got the birthday boys into their birthday tshirts.

Dad’s shirt says the same as Logan’s but with a tiny “x31” next to the two. Aren’t they cute?


For some strange reason, Kristen felt like dancing….

Jackie got Logan a pair of aviator sunglasses that were so adorable! By the way, that’s tomato juice that Logan spilled down the front of him… just after we took a few pictures of the tshirt.

After Dad and Logan opened their presents we all had some wonderful BBQ beef ribs that Mom made. Jan made delicious scalloped potatoes. For dessert Patrick made cherry pie.

After dinner Dad built a campfire in the firepit and relaxed in the breeze…

Sharing some pineapple with Logan…. I think he likes it.

After Logan went to bed we broke out the Rock Band and started jamming. Kristen is really picking up the guitar. Jackie was trying the drums for the first time and did alright. Sara already has a talent for singing.

Michael… not so much. He’s much better on the guitar.

Patrick straining to hit a high note. I can’t remember what he was singing here…

We had a lot of fun trying out a bunch of songs that none of us knew…. learning that Bill knows ALL of the words to The Beastie Boys Sabotage… learning that we all know the words to Bon Jovi’s Dead or Alive. That game is so much fun.

Sunday morning Bill and I met up with Patrick and drove up to Speisekammer in Alameda for lunch… and to watch the final match in the European Championship. Conveniently the two teams competing were Germany and Spain. Patrick sported his replica German national team jersey. I wore a German national team t-shirt from the 1990 World Cup (It used to be Bill’s). Our friend, Dave, arrived early and reserved a table for us in the bar. The restaurant is somewhat small, but they have a TV in every room for just such an occasion. The game started at 11:30am and Dave arrived before 10am. He said the the long tables in the other rooms were already full. And some tables were already well into beer drinking.

Our view from the bar. That’s Patrick’s head in the lower left hand corner. The TV in the bar is very small for an event like this. But, the view was unobstructed, we were in a corner with no one behind us, and we were close to the bar and the restrooms. All the restaurant needs to do is buy a bigger TV. The game was very entertaining and we had a wonderful lunch of Jägerschnitzel in Champignonsoße mit Kalbfleisch, mit Spätzle und gemischtem Salat. Did you get all of that? Translation: sautéed veal loin in a mushroom sauce served with spätzle and a mixed salad. Dave had the grilled bratwurst sandwich with saurkraut and mustard… that looked really good too. The food at this restaurant is just amazing and I really recommend giving it a try if you’re ever in the area. I’m a fan of the Franziskaner Hefeweizen, Patrick likes the Hofbrau Oktoberfest. There’s a variety available. I just had a hard time drinking just one beer so early in the day… my stomach was not happy with me.

Oh yeah, Germany lost 0-1. As you can see, Patrick is sad. We really weren’t huge fans of either Spain or Germany, but since we were watching in a German restaurant, we figured we’d go with the majority. It was a lot of fun and I’d love to do it again.

After lunch we went to James and Kristen’s house, as Sunday was Logan’s real birthday. Kristen wanted to do something special. So, during his nap, she and James put a bunch of helium and regular balloons in his room. So, when he woke up, he saw lots of balloons.

It was a big hit… and even though he was still waking up, all he wanted to do was play with the balloons.

Kristen and I were both flinching as he tried to sit on a few balloons… thankfully they didn’t pop.

He had such a great time. When the novelty wore off we hung out in the living room for a bit. A few minutes later we heard the sounds of him and Mommy popping some of the balloons and him giggling after each pop. It definately made clean-up easier.

It was a great weekend, just not quite long enough. Bill and I flew home on the last flight out of San Jose after dinner with his parents. The week has been busy for me at work as I grow increasingly irritated with Warner Bros… it’ll take too long to explain. With Independance Day falling on Friday this year, we both have a 3-day weekend. We’ll be back in Newark on Friday morning to BBQ with family. Then we’ll stay home for a few weekends and get our front lawn finished and a honeymoon planned. At least, those are high on the to-do list.

There are a lot more photos to post, but they’ll have to wait until I can get a hold of Michael’s camera.





About wobetxela

Artist, mom, traveler, hiker, babywearer (for as long as they'll let me) and hobbyist photographer.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to

  1. kristalucas says:

    vieira — now that’s a name i haven’t heard in YEARS! and i love the birthday shirts – too cute!

  2. christao408 says:

    Looks like you had a fun time.  Wish I had been there.  Oh, well, in a few weeks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s